Gold Creek Station
Beautiful. Secluded. Relaxed.
Gold Creek Station is a 400 h.a. property on the northern edge of Canberra, and has been a sheep station since 1861. The original 1,594 ha property was home to the Rolfe family from 1861 to 1915. It was named after a race horse that lived on the station, not for any gold found here!
The Starr family have worked Gold Creek Station for almost 50 years, and have a long association with the area going back six generations. We are descendants of Thomas Southwell, who arrived as a labourer from England in 1838. With his first wife Eliza, who died in childbirth, and his second wife Mary, Thomas saved to purchase his own farm in the district in 1854. With 17 children, the original Thomas Southwell, and his wives Eliza and Mary, have many descendants in Canberra and district.
Craig Starr grew up on Gold Creek Station and knows the land well. His parents were farm managers on the property for many years before becoming the owners. The Starr family have been hosting tours on the property for over 30 years.
In 2015, a devastating fire destroyed the original function centre. Kinsleyside Manor is the new function centre, lovingly built by the family. Beautiful and rustic recycled materials were sourced from around the country and echo the best in Australia's architectural heritage. It has stained glass windows, wide deep verandas, beautiful timber and a variety of indoor and outdoor spaces with views to the surrounding land we love.